Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Credit: Friend or Foe

Many of us, myself included, experience a love/hate relationship with credit. At first, hard to attain, then hard to restrain, and finally hard to maintain. Credit, especially in the form of credit cards, seems to have permeated North American culture. Applications arrive by mail daily, one can't escape the advertisements on TV, and the promise of a few cents off at the pump or the accumulation of frequent flier miles is too tempting...errrr, practical to pass up. Even our classic cartoons encouraged the use of credit to meet our most basic needs; "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

The concept of credit is not inherently bad. In fact, in its truest form one might even say that the exercise of lending and borrowing on credit is an exercise of virtue, requiring integrity, trust, discipline. The transaction implies a relationship, a community that is to be respected. But the harsh reality, and the hang up for most, is that credit also requires means.

This is the primary challenge facing Don Carlos as he struggles to make a living as a mechanic with his own small shop, run out of his home. Our conversation actually took place as he was exercising one of his OTHER occupations as a driver-for-hire. His third, and perhaps his passion, is intricate iron work for doors and windows, etc. Unfortunately, he finds himself having to practice, even juggle, all three to try and make ends meet. Carlos shared that there is plenty of work for a mechanic, and many people enjoy the convenience and confidence of a neighborhood shop.

"There is plenty of work, but everybody," he says, "wants the work done on credit. The big shops are able to offer credit, but one has to qualify and be willing to sign legal contracts and pay high interests. Some people even lose their cars when they can't pay. What can I do if a person can't pay, or does not pay on time? My family can't eat."

Carlos understands all too well the challenges of doing business on credit, but as a small business owner he also wants to keep clients. "Some say, I can give you this much today and I'll pay you the rest when I get my check at the end of the month. They forget that I do all the work, then I still have to use credit for my bills until the end of the month. And if he still can't pay..."

It's a vicious circle, and sadly, a way of life. But this is not about living beyond one's means, it is a necessary stopgap: the difference between food on the table or going hungry. Monseñor Romero reminds us, “No es voluntad de Dios que unos tengan todo y otros no tengan nada.” It is not God's will that some should have everything and others should have none.

I felt helpless to respond to Carlos' needs. Nothing I could do, not even what he would receive for his service as driver would make a meaningful difference to him or his family. But I am learning along this journey of accompaniment, that living in solidarity does make a difference. It means living differently, allowing myself to go out and not come back the same. I pray that we can stop and think about the cycle of credit before we make that next purchase, and not just reflect upon can I afford this but do I really need it! I invite you to join me in living differently, and we might begin by pondering the question, "what's in your wallet?"

No comments: